Transaction brings Equinix’s footprint to 175 data centers in 43 markets and approximately 17 million gross square feet across the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific markets.
Equinix has entered into a definitive agreement to purchase a portfolio of 24 data center sites and their operations from Verizon Communications for $3.6 billion in an all cash transaction.
The 24 sites consist of 29 data center buildings across 15 metro areas. The addition of these strategic facilities and customers will increase interconnection in the U.S. and Latin America; opening three new markets in Bogotá, Culpeper and Houston; and accelerate Equinix’s penetration of the enterprise and strategic market sectors, including government and energy.
The acquired portfolio includes approximately 900 customers, with a significant number of enterprise customers new to Equinix’s platform, and it adds approximately 2.4 million gross square feet. It will bring Equinix’s total global footprint to 175 data centers in 43 markets and approximately 17 million gross square feet across the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific markets.
The transaction is expected to close by mid-2017, subject to the satisfaction of customary closing conditions.
- The transaction includes 29 data center buildings across 24 sites in 15 metro areas, including Atlanta(Atlanta and Norcross),Bogotá, Boston (Billerica), Chicago (Westmont), Culpeper, Dallas (Irving, Richardson-Alma and Richardson-Pkwy), Denver (Englewood), Houston, Los Angeles (Torrance), Miami (Miami and Doral), New York (Carteret, Elmsford and Piscataway), São Paulo, Seattle (Kent), Silicon Valley (Santa Claraand San Jose), and Washington, D.C. (Ashburn, Manassas and Herndon).
- The addition of the new data center assets will expand Equinix’s platform for enterprises by adding new markets and Fortune 1000 enterprise customers. It expands capacity in existing markets, such as Atlanta, Denver, Miami, New York, São Paulo, Seattle and Silicon Valley, and it provides a platform for the future expansion of the acquired data centers.
- The NAP (Network Access Point) of the Americas facility in Miami is a key interconnection point and will become a strategic hub and gateway for Equinix customer deployments servicing Latin America. Combined with the Verizon data centers in Bogotá and the NAP do Brasil in São Paulo, it will strategically position Equinix in the growing Latin American market.
- The NAP of the Capital Region in Culpeper, VA is a highly secure campus focused on government agency customers, strengthening Equinix as a platform of choice for government services and service providers.
- Approximately 250 Verizon employees, primarily in the operations functions of the acquired data centers, will become Equinix employees.
Source: Automated Trader